Tabakfabrik Linz was constructed between 1929 and 1935 according to plans by Peter Behrens and Alexander Popp. As Austria’s first steel-frame construction designed in the New Objectivity style, it’s now protected as an architectural landmark of international significance. Austria Tabak produced cigarettes here until September 2009. In 2010, the City of Linz acquired the 38,148-m2 plant grounds and building complex from Japan Tobacco International and declared it an urban development zone. Tabakfabrik has since developed into an urban hub of cultural initiatives and the creative economy.